Published in the December 6 – 19, 2017 issue of Morgan Hill Life
- Seniors can play bocce ball from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays at the Centennial Recreation Senior Center, 171 W. Edmundson Ave. Free for seniors and members. All other times are open to the general community.
Free guitar lessons
- Gorden Gibson teaches free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Line dancing lessons
- Enjoy line dancing lessons from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
Parkinson’s support group
- Meet at the Village Green Senior Living Center, 7600 Isabella Way, from noon to 1:30 p.m. Details: Judy at (408) 607-8254.
- Starting Sept. 25 at 10 a.m. at Informed Choices. Join with other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting. Nutrition, postpartum and breastfeeding are discussed as well as other topics. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- Workout hours are from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming is for adult swimmers looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Games at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
- Cecelia’s Closet, a program under the Edward Boss Prado Foundation, will provide free clothing to families in need. No ID required and no questions asked. The Closet is located at 35 Peebles Ave. Details: (408) 670-0266.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
SV Woodworkers meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers, serving South San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy and Hollister. Group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.thvalleywoodworkers.org.
Flower Lovers meet
- The Morgan Hill Flower Lovers Club meets from 12:15 to 2 p.m. in the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center’s El Toro room. No dues are paid but a donation of $1 is requested to defray refreshment costs. Details: contact Suzanne Barrett at svbarrett683 @gmail.com.
Second, fourth Wed.
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley is a grassroots effort, aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, working to protect democracy and core values, with a focus on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the Centennial Recreation Center, 171 W Edmundson Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 824-8201.
First, third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- This group provides a safe and respectful place to share grief. It meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email email@example.com.
Bluegrass Band performs
- The ‘”Bluer than Blue” Bluegrass Band reprises on of their holiday performances from 11 a.m. to noon, at the Centennial Recreation Senior Center, 171 W. Edmundson Ave. The band plays a mixture of blues, gospel, and folk music.
Donate a coat or toy
- Coldwell Banker real estate agent Margo Sparks is spearheading a coat and toy drive for the Edward Boss Prado Foundation. Please bring a warm coat and/or toy to donate and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and cookies. Any child who brings a handmade ornament will be entered in a drawing to win $50 gift cards from local businesses. There will be Christmas trees to hang the ornaments for all to enjoy. The tree’s will be donated to families in need of a tree. The event takes place from noon to 4 p.m., 14915 Seymour Ave, San Martin. Details: Margo Sparks at (408) 375-4052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check out the Holiday Boutique from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Sobrato High School. There will be many local vendors and crafts, pictures with Santa’s Magic Ship of Christmas from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., hourly door prizes and face painting/crafts for kids. Proceeds benefit Sobrato Music Association. Details: email@example.com.
Downtown Historic Walking Tour
- Take a journey back in time with knowledgeable docents and learn about historic buildings, their owners and the businesses that have operated in them throughout the years from 10 a.m. to noon. The walk is mostly flat and spans the five blocks of downtown Morgan Hill. Meet in the plaza in front of the parking garage on Third Street. No fee, but donations to the Historical Society are appreciated.
Amah Mutsun Tribal Band meets
- Learn about the Amah Mutsun Tribe’s history and current issues from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Library, 660 W. Main Ave. College and high school students are encouraged to attend. Anticipate an informative 60- to 75-minute presentation followed by 30 to 45 minutes for Q & A. Details: Valentin Lopez, Chairman Amah Mutsun Tribal Band at (916) 743-5833.
Ornament and card workshop
- Join BookSmart for their annual BookSmart Art ornament and card making workshop from 10 a.m. to noon at the store, 1295 E. Dunne Ave. The cost is $10 and is for children ages 6 and older. Younger children will require parent participation. Please RSVP at (408) 778-6467 to ensure space and supplies.
Free show at Advent
- Celebrate Advent season with music and the spoken word. “Lux,” the Latin word for light, is a new work that will feature Advent’s festival chorus and orchestra with soprano Amanda Kingston, baritone, Trevor Neal from Opera San Jose, and others. The free show begins at 10:45 at the church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enjoy an enchanting harp musical featuring a Harper Halls Ensemble from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Library, 660 W. Main Ave. This winter holiday concert is hosted by Friends of the Library. Details: www.friendsmhlibrary.org.
Toy and jacket giveaway
- The Annual Christmas Toy and Jacket Giveaway, “You Belong Here” by I Love Morgan Hill, Cathedral of Faith from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Community Center, 17000 Monterey Road. To donate toys, jackets or monetary (tax deductible), call Gary Palacios at (408) 623-5209. This outreach is for the community who would like to enjoy a warm sit-down meal, listen to music and receive toys and jackets for their children. There is also a Santa’s Village to take pictures with Santa. Children must be present to receive toy and jacket and is on a first-come, first-served basis and made possible through the support of I Love Morgan Hill, Cathedral of Faith, and Martha’s Kitchen.
Dec. 16 & 17
Wine Tasting at Villa Mira Monte
- Join Mann Cellars and Paradise Valley Vineyards for festive holiday wine tastings from noon to 5 p.m. at the Hiram Morgan Hill House at Villa Mira Monte. Taste delicious wines with some attractive discounts, and each paid taste/purchase will receive a raffle ticket for a drawing Sunday at 5 p.m. to win a gift basket of wines and holiday treats. Wines make great gifts for friends and relatives. A portion of sales supports the operation of Villa Mira Monte.
Author Obi Kaufmann visits
- Meet Obi Kaufmann, author of “The California Field Atlas” from noon to 2 p.m., at BookSmart, 1295 E. Dunne Ave., and enjoy a conversation with Kaufmann, and have your book signed and personalized. Details: (408) 778-6467.
- The American Association of University Women Morgan Hill present the Eleanor Stem Allen Memorial Speech Trek Contest at 6:30 p.m. in the Morgan Hill Library, 350 W. Main Ave. This year’s topic is: “How Can We Stand Up to Sexism.” The contest is open to any high school student attending school in Morgan Hill. The application deadline is Dec. 15, 2017. Applications are available at www.aauwmh.org/speech-trek/. Please contact Joanne Rooney at email@example.com if you have any questions. Cash prizes will be awarded for 1st ($300), 2nd ($200) and 3rd ($100) place.
Send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Calendar Editor (see all)
- COMMUNITY CALENDAR-Published in the March 14 – 27, 2018 issue of Morgan Hill Life - March 9, 2018
- Calendar of Events – Published in the January 17 – 30, 2018 issue of Morgan Hill Life - January 12, 2018
- Community Calendar – January 3 – January 16, 2017 - December 30, 2017