Published in the May 9 – 22, 2018 issue of Morgan Hill Life
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A refresher course for motorists 50 and older is taking place. Must call and register to get date and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, class materials and instructor provided by AARP. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. A discount on auto insurance is available upon completion of this one-day class. Details and to register, call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m. only.
Women’s Support Group
- An eight-week personal study with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous is for anyone suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating or bulimia. Meetings at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Parkinson’s support group
- Meet at the Village Green Senior Living Center, 7600 Isabella Way, from noon to 1:30 p.m. Details: Judy at (408) 607-8254.
Parenting Support Group
- Join with other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting at 10 a.m. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Monday & Thursday
- Games at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- Workout from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Masters swimming is for adult swimmers looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email email@example.com.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
- Each class consists of a short introduction of the session, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief interactive discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or drop by 16165 Monterey Road, Suite 200. Suggested donation $5. No one turned away.
Ukulele Fans Meet
- The Ukulele Society of Morgan Hill meets from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Library. All levels welcome. Music is provided or get yours prior by letting us know you want to join and provide an email address. Details: Karen MacDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuesday & Thursday
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get gently used clothing and household items, at no charge. Visit 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Recovering From Addiction
- Thrive! provides support, information and education for family recovery. Addiction is a family disease and this group is focused on how a family unit can move toward wellness. They meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church, 16970 Dewitt Ave. Details: Karen at (408) 666-5533.
SV Woodworkers meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers, serving South San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy and Hollister. Group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.southvalleywoodworkers.org.
Second, fourth Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley is a grassroots effort, aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, working to protect our democracy and core values of our society, with a focus on our local communities. They meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Centennial Recreation Center, 171 W. Edmundson Ave. Details: www.indivisiblesv.org.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email email@example.com or call (408) 824-8201.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space to play games and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Food is served. This program is for ages 13 to 19 though younger children are allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. Permission slip needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460 or (408) 846-0313.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early bird games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 398-5107.
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Downtown History Walk
- Take a tour from 10 a.m. to noon experience the history of downtown. Walk into the past and learn about the buildings and the characters who built and who operated them through the years. Tours are free, donations welcome. Meet at the 3rd Street Plaza outside Coffee Guys.
- Join the poetry fun with the longest running group in South County area from 3:30 to 5 p.m., Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. All levels welcome.
First, third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- This group provides a safe and respectful place to share grief. It meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Special Jazz Performance
- The Live Oak High School Jazz bands will perform “Jazz It Up” at the Granada Theater from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. The event includes dinner, magician, silent auction, and raffle. Tickets are $45 and available at www.emeraldregime.org or at BookSmart. Proceeds benefit Live Oak Emerald Regime Band and Color Guard. Details: (408) 659-6857.
May 11 to June 16
Photo Club Exhibition
- The Morgan Hill Photography Club, in cooperation with the Morgan Hill Historical Society, presents an exhibition at the Morgan Hill House at Villa Mira Monte, 17860 Monterey Road. This exhibit, themed “Santa Clara County Parks,” features 29 photographs from 20 artists. The public is invited to attend the Artist’s Reception from 6 to 8 p.m., Friday, May 11. Details: www.morganhillphotographyclub.org/exhibitions/.
- The Wildlife Education and Rehabilitation Center’s wildlife-themed art show takes place from noon to 4 p.m. at GVA, in downtown Morgan Hill. The fundraiser features art and photography by Morgan Hill artists and original watercolor art and photography by WERC volunteers will be on display and available for purchase. Proceeds benefit W.E.R.C. GVA will cater the food, wine will be provided by Lion Ranch Winery, and entertainment by Music as Language. Details: www.werc-ca.org.
Day Out on the Ranch
- Attend a free rodeo for adults and children with special needs from noon to 3 p.m. at Thorson’s Arena, 2005 Hayes Lane, San Martin. It includes rodeo skills, live music, hot dogs and chips, horseback rides and a petting zoo.
- Recology South Valley will give away compost at Morgan Hill Community Park from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Compost giveaway is limited to 1/2 cubic yard (three 32-gallon cans) per Morgan Hill resident only, no commercial customers. Limited supply, first come first served. Bring your own shovel and container. Details: (408) 310-4169 or email email@example.com.
- Gospel/Bluegrass group Bluer than Blue will perform from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave., Morgan Hill. Audience participation allowed by following and singing along with lyrics posted on the front screen while musicians are performing. The free event benefits Reachout Food Pantry. Details: (408) 779-0254 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plants That Attract Pollinators
- Discover what flowering plants will attract beneficial insects, amphibians, lizards and birds to your yard and encourage them to stay, from 10 a.m. to noon, at the St. Louise Hospital Teaching and Demo Garden, 9400 No Name Uno Way.
Buy a Mattress, Help Local Bands
- Come and get a better night’s sleep and support the 3rd Annual Sobrato and Martin Murphy Music Mattress Fundraiser from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., at Ann Sobrato High School Gym, 401 Burnett Ave. They will have quality name brands like Simmons Beautyrest for up to 50 percent off. The sale is one day only. Profits go directly to the music programs!
Air Museum Open House
- Wings of History Air Museum 18th Annual Open House and Fly-in takes place from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., 12777 Murphy Ave., San Martin. Enjoy the sights and sounds of aviation while helping to preserve its history. Free admission and parking. Free Young Eagle airplane rides for kids 8-17 provided by EAA Chapter 62 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Antique airplanes, cars, and tractors on display. Tethered balloon rides (weather permitting). Food and fun activities available throughout the event. Details: www.wingsofhistory.org or call (408) 683-2290.
Honoring the Badge
- The South County Faith Based Coalition presents a celebration of appreciation to honor heroes who serve and protect. The free event takes place at 11 a.m. at the Morgan Hill Community Center, and includes lunch, awards and guest speakers. Details: Dori Prado at (408) 390-9012.
Mental Health Resource Fair
- Visit resource tables from local organizations and take part in arts and crafts for all ages from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St. Details: (408) 842-8207 or visit www.sccl.org.
Send calendar items to email@example.com.