Line Dancing Lessons
• Line dancing lessons take place from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave., San Martin.
Food Addicts Meetings
• Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous is for anyone suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating or bulimia. They meet at 7 p.m. at Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave., Morgan Hill. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Free Guitar Lessons
• Free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Parenting Support Group
• Join other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting at 10 a.m. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Second, fourth Mondays
Lions Club Morgan Hill
• The Lions Club meets at Mama Mia’s, 275 E. Dunne Ave., at 7 p.m. Lions focus on worldwide programs and services for the blind and visually impaired and in many local programs, such as scholarships. Details: (408) 723 1018.
Mondays & Fridays
Get Moving for Healthier Aging
• Join other older-than-50s in a class to keep you mobile as you age. The first class is free. Check out the special offer of $2 per class (normally $3). This class takes place from 10 to 11 a.m. at Machado School, 15130 Sycamore Ave. Contact Alison at (408) 779 2399 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mon., Wed., Fri. & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
• Workout from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email email@example.com.
• The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free, gently used clothing and household items. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Recovering From Addiction
• Thrive! provides support, information and education for family recovery. They meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church, 16970 Dewitt Ave. Details: Karen at (408) 666-5533.
Wind Symphony Meets
• The Morgan Hill Wind Symphony meets from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church, 16970 Dewitt Ave. No auditions needed, openings in all sections. Anyone who plays a wind symphony instrument and have at least one year of experience can join.
LeTip Morgan Hill
• LeTip meets from 7:01 a.m. to 8:31 a.m. at Rosy’s at the Beach, 17320 Monterey Road, to exchange qualified leads, build relationships and learn to promote each other. Join them for breakfast, some serious networking in a fun environment, and the opportunity to highlight your business. Details: LeTip-MorganHill.com.
Second & Fourth Wed.
Indivisible South Valley
• Indivisible South Valley is a grassroots effort, aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, working to protect democracy and core values. Meetings are 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
• Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 824-8201.
Friday Night Bingo
• Doors open at 4 p.m. with games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
Running Group, Club Run
• The South Valley Running Club is hosting a group run at 8 a.m. Various distances. All levels welcome. Membership is not required. Details: www.svrchome.org.
First & Third Sundays
Grief Support Group
• This group provides a safe and respectful place to share grief. It meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email email@example.com.
Through Jan. 26
Homeless Photo Exhibit
• Check out photos depicting the homeless called “Homeless Voices,” by Kirti Bassendine at the Gilroy Center for the Arts, 7341 Monterey Road. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Through Feb. 25
• The Morgan Hill Photography Club presents an exhibit at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road, themed “Photography 2018.” These diverse and interesting images are representative of a number of different photographic genres. The general public is invited to attend the Artists’ Reception from 5:30 to 7 p.m., Feb 6. Details: www.morganhillphotographyclub.org/exhibitions.
Easy to Grow Winter Vegetables
• Many winter vegetables are fast growing and can still be planted for winter or spring harvest. This class — from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 660 W. Sixth St. — will focus on crops that can be harvested in 60 days or less. Learn about growing techniques, pest control, soil preparation, and more.
Concert to Benefit WERC
• Morgan Hill Soprano Heather Faulhaber (professional singer, WERC volunteer, and local voice teacher) will present a concert benefiting WERC at 7 p.m., at Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Suggested donation is $10. She will be joined by Bay Area artists Martin Rojas Dietrich and Justin T. Plank, and accompanied by pianist Anny Cheng. Reception with the artists to follow.
Honor the Memory of Dr. King
• Interfaith CommUNITY of South County with Interfaith Clergy Alliance presents “Peaceable Wisdom” honoring the memory of Martin Luther King, at 7 p.m. at St. Mary’s Church, 11 1st St. All are welcome. Details: email@example.com or (408) 842-8149.
Winter Book Sale
• Head to the Winter Book Sale sponsored by the Friends of the Morgan Hill Library from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the library, 660 W. Main Ave. All books are $1 or less. DVDs and CDs $1. Children’s books .10 each. There will be a bag sale from 2 to 3 p.m. Fill a reusable library bag for $5, or bring your own standard-sized bag and fill it for $4.
Father, Daughter Dinner Dance
• An enchanted evening for the special Princess in your life takes place from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center. Dads and daughters will enjoy a magical night of dining, music, and dancing. Dress to impress — and snap a few pics in the photo booth. If a father is unavailable, grandfather, uncles or family friends are welcome. To register, call (408) 782-0008 or visit www.mhreconline.com using the code WSY004.
Morgan Hill Values Youth
• All youth, parents, guardians and adults working with youth in the community are invited to the Morgan Hill Values Youth event from 8:30 a.m. to noon at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road. The event is designed to help youth and families effectively use the D41 Developmental Assets to empower youth.
Pruning Deciduous Trees
• Learn the basics of pruning fruit trees from 10 a.m. to noon at the St. Louise Hospital Teaching and Demonstration Garden, 9400 No Name Uno Way. If you’d like to try it, bring pruning shears and gloves. Details: www.mgsantaclara.ucanr.edu or call (408) 282-3105 between 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Piano Competition, Music Festival
• Piano students from 5th to 12th grades can register to compete in the Marian Filice Youth Piano competition, while all other musicians can register to perform during the music festival. The competition will consist of two divisions. The junior division will be open for students in grades 5-8, while the senior division will be open for students in grades 9-12. The deadline for entry is Jan. 28. The entry fee is $20 for the piano competition, and $15 for the music festival. For applications, visit www.gavilan.edu/academic/music/piano_comp.php. The events take place Sunday, March 3 with the competition at 10 a.m., and the award ceremony and festival concert at 3 p.m. Details: call (408) 848- 4796 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send calendar items to email@example.com.
Latest posts by Robert Airoldi (see all)
- Calendar of Community Events: Published in the January 16 – 29, 2019 issue of Morgan Hill Life - January 13, 2019
- Large and small businesses surprised with honor from MH Chamber - January 11, 2019
- Around Town . . . with Robert Airoldi: Morgan Hill now has a sixth Sister City after adding Ameca, Mexico - January 11, 2019