Mark Fenichel: Music in the Air: All dressed up with someplace to go
Published in the December 25, 2013-January 7, 2014 issue of Morgan Hill Life
By Mark Fenichel
New Year’s Eve is upon us. Here are a few places you can go that are fun and not too far from home.
• Champs Family Bar and Grill is rolling out the New Year with a New Year’s Eve party starting at 9 p.m. featuring live rockin’ reggae music with The Dub Allstars.
• Grinds, Vines & Automobilia Cafe is throwing a big party including a midnight breakfast and champagne with live music by the Never Dull Band. Admission is just $25 per person and $35 per couple. Come early and stay late.
• StriXe Lounge is throwing a free event with live music provided by the band “10 Till 2.” Don’t let the name fool you, the party starts at 9 p.m.
• How about ringing in the New Year with bingo? There’s a New Year’s Eve Bingo Party at the Community & Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road. Doors open at 5 p.m. and includes prize drawings, party favors, and a free spaghetti dinner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Ring in 2014 at the Morgan Hill Grange and help support Live Oak High School Ag Boosters, Live Oak High School Grad Night and the historical Morgan Hill Grange, from 7:30 p.m. to midnight, at the Grange, 40 E. Fourth St. The night includes dinner, dancing, a no host bar, and casino games. The cost is $60 per person and are available at (408) 832-3731, (408) 776-1500 or at email@example.com.
• For family fun on New Year’s Eve, Morgan Hill Bowl is bringing in 2014 with two hours of unlimited bowling (two people per lane minimum) for just $10 per person, and that includes shoes. You can bowl your way through the midnight hour as this New Year’s Eve special runs from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.
• Down the road in Gilroy, Old City Hall is throwing a New Year’s Eve dinner and party with food choices like lobster tail, or bacon wrapped petite filet, soup, salad, dessert, wine or champagne and more for $75 per couple (reservations recommended). Or skip the dinner and go right to the party from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. with live music featuring the band JJ Hawg. Tickets for the party only (limited supply) just $15 per person, and that includes party favors, a midnight buffet, and champagne toast at midnight.
• Station 55 at 55 Fifth St., Gilroy has a prixe fixe menu with steak and lobster plus dessert for $29 per person, followed at 9 p.m. by a free party with classic rock music provided by The Mike Osborn band to 1 a.m.
• The Milias Restaurant will have a special prixe fixe menu with the last seating at 9 p.m. Enjoy live music with Steve Shandling and Mike Milano from 7 to 10 p.m., then it’s “DJ TIL’ 2014” from 10PM until the wee hours. So have a safe and fun New Year’s Eve.