Published in the Aug. 19 – Sept. 1, 2015 issue of Morgan Hill Life
• Join others in evening and Saturday morning walks. Meet at the Morgan Hill Shopping Center (Main and Hale avenues) for walks from 6 to 7 p.m. They also walk for 90 minutes Saturdays beginning at 9 a.m. The walks are at a moderate pace and include hills. For more information, call (408) 779-7592 or e-mail [email protected]
Bingo benefits seniors
• Bingo is played at the Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road, to raise funds to benefit the Morgan Hill Senior Center. Doors open at 5 p.m. with games at 6:30 p.m. For ages 18 and older. There is a $20 buy-in, $30 electronic and paper buy-in. For more information, call (408) 782-1284 or visit www.fmhsc.org.
Breastfeeding support group meets regularly
• Join other women at 10 a.m. at the Casa Natal Birth Center, 50 W. Main St., Suite D. For more information, call (408) 778-7583.
Bingo benefits bands
• The Live Oak Emerald Regime holds bingo games at the Britton Middle School Auditorium, 80 W. Central Ave., to support band programs. Saturday, doors open at 4:15 p.m., games start at 5:45 p.m. Sunday, doors open at 11:45 a.m., games start 1:15 p.m. For more information visit www.emeraldregime.org/bingo_page.htm. Special July 4 hours: doors open at 1:15 p.m., warm-ups at 2:45, regulars begin at 3:15.
Summer pruning of fruit trees
• Learn the basics of pruning your fruit trees in summer and why summer pruning is so important from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Saint Louise Hospital’s Teaching and Demo Garden, 9400 No Name Uno. They will demonstrate how to “summer prune” and encourage participation. Presented by South County Master Gardeners.
• Artist Karen Lesso Hegglin — who grew up in Morgan Hill and Gilroy — will have a show titled “Years in the Making” … Watercolors by Karen Art Exhibit that will be on display from Aug. 20 to Sept. 23 at the Community Center. An artist reception will be held at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 20. For more information, call (408) 779-7871.
Audition for theater
• TheaterFun Director Carol Romo will hold auditions for the 2015 Fall Children’s Theater production at the Morgan Hill Grange, 40 E. 4th St. Times are: 11 a.m. For those 6 to 11 years old and 1 p.m. For those 12 to 17. Please arrive 15 minutes early to sign-in. Audition notes for young actors:
• Dress in comfortable clothing and closed-toe shoes
• Prepare a short song to sing a cappella
• If you are 12-17, please prepare a short monologue or poem
• Bring a head shot
• Bring a resume of past productions
Registration fee is $125 and rehearsals are scheduled from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays from noon to 2 p.m. Saturdays. The show will be performed at the Morgan Hill Playhouse, Oct. 22-25. For more information, contact [email protected] or at (408) 839-3696.
Aug. 22 & 23
Fine Wine and Spirited Chocolates
• Looking for something deliciously fun and educational? Visit Villa Mira Monte’s Regional Wine Tasting Room at the Historic Hiram Morgan Hill House. Paradise Valley Vineyards’ Cabernet and Merlot pair well with Twice the Vice Spirited Chocolates. Tasting fee is $5, applies to bottle purchase. The event takes place from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., at 17860 Monterey Road For more information contact Kathy Sullivan at [email protected] or at (408) 230-7876.
Gavilan College redistricting
• Learn about the plans and share your thoughts on the redistricting of the Gavilan Joint Community College District voting areas for board members. The public meeting starts at 6 p.m. at the Gavilan site at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center.
Aug. 25, 26 & 27
Estate Planning and Medi-Cal Planning Seminars
• Join attorney Jim Ward for a 90-minute educational workshop, breaking down inheritance tax myths, inaccurate information regarding qualifying for Medi-Cal and the legal steps needed to protect assets with a sound living trust. The seminars are: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tue., Aug. 25, Mama Mia’s, Restaurant, 274 E. Dunne Ave. Morgan Hill; 10 to 11:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wed., Aug. 26, Ward Law Office, 7888 Wren Ave., Suite D-140, Gilroy; and 11:30 a.m. To 1 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 27, San Juan Oaks, 3825 Union Road, Hollister.
LGBTQ+ Meet and Greet
• The Morgan Hill Library and the LGBTQ Youth Space are offering an LGBTQ+ Meet & Greet from 4 to 5 p.m., at the Morgan Hill Library, 660 W. Main Ave. This is a low-key event for ages 13 to 25, and a chance for LGBTQ+ youth and allies to get to know one another and ask questions.
AAUW membership brunch
• The Morgan Hill Branch of the American Association of University Women invites prospective members to its annual Fall Brunch from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. For location and to RSVP, contact Sandra at (408) 779-8246. For information about the organization, visit www.aauw-morganhill.org.
Labor Day Bingo Marathon
• Two sessions of bingo hosted by the Live Oak Emerald Regime at Britton Auditorium, 80 W Central Ave, Morgan Hill. Doors open at 8:30 a.m. First session at 10 a.m., 2nd session at 1:30. For more information visit www.emeraldregime.org/bingo.
Harvest Moon Dinner Dance
• The inaugural Harvest Moon Dinner and Dance takes place from 5:30 to 9 p.m. at Fortino Winery, 4525 Hecker Pass Highway, Gilroy. Proceeds will help people who are homeless improve their lives and get back on their feet. The delicious dinner will feature a rustic Italian menu with locally sourced produce and Fortino wine. Tickets are $50 and available at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/1686934 or call Shawn Weymouth at (408) 607-1284 or Maria Skoczylas at (408) 710-0197.
Sept. 11 & 12
Annual rummage sale
• Check out the annual rummage sale from 2 to 7 p.m. Friday and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, at the Morgan Hill United Methodist Church, 4th Street and Monterey Road.
British classic car show
• The Fourth Annual British Fall Classic automobile show takes place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., in downtown Morgan Hill. On Sept. 12 there will be an organized car tour through the scenic Morgan Hill wine country. Saturday evening registered show participants are invited to a wine reception hosted by sponsor On the Road Again Classics, from 4 to 7 p.m. Registration is $45 until Aug. 31. Late registration (Sept. 1 and after) is $60. For more information, visit www.thebritishfallclassic.com.
Sept. 18, 19 & 20
Fall Fun Fest
• Visit the St. Catherine Fall Fun Fest and enjoy carnival rides, games, a variety of food and entertainment at the church, 17400 Peak Ave. Admission is free and it’s fun for the whole family. Hours are 4 to 10 p.m. Friday, noon to 10 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. For more information and special discount ticket opportunities, visit www.stca.org or call (408) 779-3959.
Send calendar items to [email protected]
- Archive: Published in the September 8 – 21, 2021 issue of Morgan Hill Life - September 4, 2021
- County approves affordable housing project with units for ag workers - September 4, 2021
- Take action during Community Preparedness Month to prepare for disasters - September 4, 2021