“May we know them, may we be them, may we raise them!”
By Brittney Sherman
In 1920, the ratification of the 19th Amendment granted women the right to vote. The struggles that took place between the first convention and that final victory spanned multiple generations of women and affect every single one of us to this day.
In honor of the Women’s Suffrage Movement and in celebration of the powerful women in our own community the Morgan Hill Chamber of Commerce, along with support from local partner organizations American Association of University Women, Showing Up for Racial Justice and the city of Morgan Hill, will launch the 3rd Annual Women’s Week Celebration on Aug. 26. Men, women and children of all ages and demographics are invited to take part in this week-long series of events meant to “Support, Celebrate & Educate” the South County Community.
- The Monday Night Movie Screening will feature “Half the Sky,” a documentary of the revolutionary movement supporting women’s rights worldwide.
- On Tuesday AAUW will host a workshop/panel discussion called “So You Want to Write A Book”
- On Wednesday SURJ will conduct a movie screening of “To Climb A Gold Mountain” alongside a Q&A session with movie director Alex Azmi.
- The Powerful Women’s Panel Discussion will take place Thursday and feature the following panelists: Elvira Zaragoza Robinson (Former Deputy District Attorney and Gavilan College Trustee), Karen Seeker (owner of Seeker Vineyard and President of Poppy Jasper Film Festival), Michelle McKay (Managing Global Director for Global Treasury & Payments Silicon Valley Bank), Peggy Martin (Wealth Manager and co-founder of The Family Wealth Consulting Group) and Noshaba Afzal (National Director for Be Glad GiveLight Foundation).
- Friday will round out the week with a Ladies Night Concert at the Morgan Hill Friday Night Music Series.
Caitlin Jachimowicz, Cecelia Ponzini, Katie Khera and Brittney Sherman issue a call to action in support of strong women: “May we know them, may we be them, may we raise them!”
Brittney Sherman is the chief operating officer for the Morgan Hill Chamber of Commerce. Reach her at (408) 779-9444 or at [email protected]