Find out what’s new and exciting in Gilroy in this issue’s calendar
Women’s Support Group
- Join an eight-week personal study session with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions depending on the needs of the participants involved. Details: (408) 847-8880.
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A refresher course for motorists 50 and older is currently taking place. You must call and register to get the dates and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, materials and instructor provided. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. Details and to register: Please call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery, a 12-step program for those suffering from overeating, under-eating or bulimia, meet at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing lessons from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
Parkinson’s Support Group
- Parkinson’s patients and their caregivers are invited to attend from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way, Gilroy. Details: (408) 691-5982
Car Lovers Meet
- The Valle del Sur region of the Antique Automobile Club of America meets at 7:30 p.m. at the Villa Mira Monte on Monterey Road. Details: www.valledelsur-aaca.com.
Active Living Programs
- This group meets from 1:30 to 2:40 p.m. at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: (408) 607-8254 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parenting Support Group
- Join other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting at 10 a.m. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Monday & Thursday
- Enjoy games that begin at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Mon., Wed., Fri., & Sat.
Join the Gilroy Gators Masters
- Swim from 5 to 6 a.m. and most Saturdays from 7 to 8:30 a.m. at Gilroy High School. Sessions are for adults looking to get in or stay in shape, or for triathletes looking for more swim time and/or instruction. Details: www.gilroygators.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Class consists of a short introduction, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or visit 16165 Monterey Road, #200.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Adam’s 4-H meetings. They are held from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Gilroy Grange, 8191 Swanston Lane. Details: email@example.com.
Free Ukulele Jam Session
- Have fun with an enthusiastic group of ukulele players at the monthly Gilroy Ukulele Jam, 6 to 8 p.m., at Old City Hall Restaurant, 7400 Monterey Road. All playing levels are welcome; free beginner lessons from 5:15 to 5:45 p.m.
Tuesday & Thursday
- The St. Catherine Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get free, gently-used clothing and household items, at 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Student Recovery/Life Skills Class
- “God Heals” is an 8-step program for middle and high schoolers providing free life skill classes that take place from 6:30 to 8 p.m., at Cathedral of Faith, 7250 Forest St. Details: Suzie at (408) 497-2494.
Alzheimer, Dementia Care Support
- Find support, respite, and education 6:30 p.m. in the activities room at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
American Sewing Guild
- If you love to sew and work with fabric, you’ll enjoy meeting a group of enthusiasts who challenge and teach each other sewing skills. Meet at 10 a.m. in the Jackson Oaks area of Morgan Hill. Details: www.asgsanjose.org.
Wind Symphony Meets
- The Morgan Hill Wind Symphony meets from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church, 16970 Dewitt Ave. No auditions are needed. Openings in all sections. Anyone who plays a brass, woodwind or percussion instrument and has at least two years experience is free to join. Details: email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.mhws.org.
Alzheimer’s, Dementia Support
- Get support, respite and education at these monthly meetings in the Activities Room, at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way. Details: Anne Seckinger at (408) 857-7811.
SV Woodworkers Meet
- If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers. The group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: www.southvalleywoodworkers.org.
2nd & 4th Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley, a grassroots effort aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, works to protect democracy and core values, focusing on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the clubhouse on Montoya Circle.
Alanon Family Meeting
- A meeting for family and friends of alcoholics takes place at 7 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: Please email email@example.com or call (408) 824-8201.
Creative Writing Class
- No experience needed for this 13-week class that meets at 2 p.m., at Merrill Gardens, 7600 Isabella Way Gilroy. Details: call (408) 621-5114.
- Learn leadership skills and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings at the Lion’s Club of San Martin, 12415 Murphy Ave., from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women in Touch
- Women in Touch II invites others to renew friendships and make new ones. Meetings, which include lunch and entertainment, are from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., at the Gilroy Elks Lodge. The cost is $23, reservations required. Call 408) 847-1964 or email email@example.com.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m., early games start at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 781-4498.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Program for ages 13 to 19 though younger children allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. Permission slip needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460.
San Martin Horsemen Meet
- The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Ukulele Sunrise Jam
- Players meet at 8:30 a.m. for an hour at Café 152 Bread Company, 60 4th St. They play songs from songbooks, which are available at www.GilroyUkuleleJam.com.
Gilroy Poetry Fun
- Join the Gilroy Garlicky Group of poets for poetry fun from 3:30 to 5 p.m. at the Gilroy Public Library, 350 W. 6th St. This is very low key with all levels welcome.
First & Third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- Group meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. It provides a safe place to share grief. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winer Fruit Tree Care
- Learn what to do now to keep your deciduous fruit trees healthy from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Library, 660 W. Main Ave. Common diseases and insect pests as well as control measures will be discussed. Tips on selecting new trees will also be covered. Some very basic principles of pruning will be discussed, as well. Presented by UCCE Master Gardener Joan Cloutier.
Grow Winter Veggies in Containers
- You can grow healthy vegetables in containers in winter. Root vegetables, salad greens, onions, shallots and more will be covered at this class from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St. Containers allow you to utilize many different spaces to grow your own food. Learn about containers, soil, nutrients and other cultural practices that will help you grow container vegetables successfully. Presented by UCCE Master Gardener Joan Cloutier.
Veterans Appreciation BBQ
- The El Camino Club will host Veteran’s Appreciation from 3 to 9 p.m. at the Veterans Memorial Building, 74 W. 6th St., Gilroy. Dinner will be served from 3 to 6 p.m. with live music from 6 to 9 p.m. American Legion Post 217 and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6309 members with valid membership at the door will be free along with guest. Additional guests are $5. Active full time and reserve military personnel are free with proof of service.
People Are Books
- This community event allows people to be open and to feel comfortable while meeting neighbors from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Instead of a book, check out a person and learn more about them and their lives. The event has been held worldwide to foster respectful conversations about experiences that are deeply personal, challenging or even taboo to talk about. Details: www.sccl.org/Locations/Gilroy, call (408) 842-8207, or email email@example.com.
- Fortino Winery Fall Boutique will be held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 4005 Hecker Pass Highway. Vendors, crafts and excellent wine. Visit for a day of shopping and sipping your favorite Fortino wines. Free to the public.
- Enjoy a delicious dinner with live music, drawing, and silent auction from 5 to 9 p.m. at the Gilroy Lodge on the Hill, 2765 Hecker Pass Highway. View photography from the exhibit “Homeless Voices” by Kirti Bassendine. This annual gala benefits the homeless families and individuals served by the Gilroy Compassion Center’s programs. Proceeds from this event will help to replace the center’s aging passenger van and other crucial needs. Tickets are available at www.eventbrite.com/e/harvest-moon-tickets-63522738220.
Dec. 14 & 15
- Fortino Winery Holiday Boutique will be held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the winery, 4525 Hecker Pass Highway. There will be vendors, crafts, and wine. Come out to join Fortino Winery and enjoy a day of shopping and sipping your favorite Fortino wines. The boutique is free to the public.
Send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Calendar Editor (see all)
- Calendar of Events - November 8, 2019
- Community Calendar - November 2, 2019
- Kindergarten Roundup Time – Saturday November 2, 2019 - October 30, 2019