Published in the September 28 – October 11, 2016 issue of Morgan Hill Life
Sept. 30 to Oct. 22
‘The Little Mermaid Jr.’
• South Valley Civic Theater presents “The Little Mermaid Jr.” at the Morgan Hill Community Playhouse, 17090 Monterey Road. SVCT will bring the magic to life with special flying effects. In addition to the usual 10-show schedule, there will be a special needs friendly sing-along matinee. Group rates available. Tickets are $16 to $25 and available at www.svct.org.
• The LOHS Class of 1976 is hosting a reunion for classes from the 1970s at Guglielmo Winery from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Tickets are now $100 and none will be sold at the door. For more information visit www.lohs76reunion.com.
• Discover the benefits of gardening using your own compost in a fun and simple to understand lecture format from 10 a.m. to noon at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center. Pre-registration is required. Please call (408) 918-4640 to register.
• The annual Henry Coe State Park Tarantula Fest takes place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the campground headquarters, 9000 E. Dunne Ave. See some of the fuzzy, friendly eight-legged guests of honor. With a $7 to $15 meal ticket enjoy a great home-cooked food with breathtaking views across the ridges and canyons of the backcountry.
Meet the author
• Former Morgan Hill resident Mary Smathers presents the light and dark sides of contemporary California, the perseverance of its residents and the richness of its culture across a grand sweep of history in her book “In Fertile Soil: Stories of the California Dream,” from 4 to 6 p.m. at BookSmart, 1295 East Dunne Ave., Ste. 120. For more information, call (408) 778-6467.
• Need clothes for the entire family? Come to the 3rd annual October FreeFest from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Cecelia’s Closet and Food Pantry, 35 Peebles Ave. Invite your friends and neighbors! Everything is free.
Sibling Preparation Class
• St. Louise Hospital is offering a free Sibling Preparation Class for soon-to-be big sisters or brothers. The first class takes place from 3 to 4 p.m. It takes place at the Morgan Hill Community & Culture Center, 17000 Monterey Road. Pre-registration is required. Call (800) 554-5289. Child participants must be accompanied by an adult.
High on Health Faire
• The Gavilan College High on Health Faire takes place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Gavilan College Student Center, 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd. The free fair offers services and medical testing for children, as long as a parent or guardian is present. Visitors will have an opportunity to speak with more than 40 representatives from local organizations. For more information, contact Alice Dufresne-Reyes at (408) 848-4791.
Senior Resource Fair
• The Senior Resource Fair takes place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Centennial Recreation Center, 181 W. Edmundson Ave. It includes health and wellness class, demonstrations and health screenings. For more information, call (408) 782-1284.
Memorial golf tournament
• Enjoy a day of golf, lunch, barbecue dinner, wine and beer. Proceeds from the 8th Annual Mount Madonna School Randy Getz Memorial Golf Tournament support the completion of the new multipurpose gymnasium at the school. Register at www.mountmadonnaschool.org/golf.
Rotary Club golf tournament
• Eagle Ridge Golf Club will be the site for the 22nd Annual Rotary Club of Morgan Hill Golf Classic. Proceeds go to fund various outreaches into the community. The event, which is open to the community, will start with a noon shotgun tee-off. The day will end with a banquet dinner. Visit www.morganhillrotary.org/golfclassic.
Oct. 7 & 8
P.E.O. Garage Sale
• The Philanthropic Educational Organization will hold a huge garage sale from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day at 18321 Christeph Dr., Morgan Hill. There will be clothes, accessories, plants, décor, tools, furniture, books and household items. Money raised goes toward scholarships for women. For more information, email email@example.com
Cioppino and Pasta Feed
• The 15th Annual Morgan Hill Kiwanis All You Can East Cioppino and Pasta Feed takes place from 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Buddhist Community Center, 16450 Murphy Ave. The cost is $50, or $90 a couple in advance, or $55 at the door. The pasta only is $25. Tickets are available at (408) 659-0350 or www.morganhillkiwanis.org.
Fall Garden Market
• Buy your fall garden plants and taste the wine from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at Guglielmo Winery, 1480 E. Main Ave. Master gardeners will be on site to answer any cool season questions.
Send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Robert Airoldi (see all)
- More than $620K raised for victims of Garlic Festival shooting - August 9, 2019
- Around Town . . . by Robert Airoldi: Remember what the Garlic Festival is all about: friends, food and fun - August 9, 2019
- Mariachi at Villa Mira Monte - July 26, 2019