Find out what’s happening in the South Valley with our community calendar
Learn About Scouts
• Scout Troops 799 and 2799 invite interested boys and girls ages 10 1/2 to 17 to learn important scout skills, leadership, good citizenship, and to have some fun. Meetings are at 7:15 p.m., at the Fellowship Hall of Grace Hill Church, 16970 Dewitt Ave.
• Enjoy line dancing from 6 to 8 p.m., at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave., San Martin. Beginners start at the beginning of the hour. Cost is $5. Details: Denise Vaccaro, [email protected], (650) 400-6944.
• The Visiting Nurses Association Hospice support group helps people deal with emotions from losing a loved one. Meets 4:30 to 6 p.m., at the San Martin Presbyterian Church, 13200 Lincoln Ave. Details: (831) 236-1015.
Parkinson’s Support Group
• Group supports those affected by Parkinson’s disease, including family members and caretakers. Meets from 1:30 to 3 p.m. at Merrill Gardens, Gilroy. Details: please call (408) 691-5982.
Second, fourth Mondays
Lions Club Morgan Hill
• The club meets at Mama Mia’s, 275 E. Dunne Ave., at 7 p.m. They focus on programs and services for the blind and visually impaired, and many other programs. Details: (408) 723-1018.
Monday – Saturday
• Drop-in play at the Morgan Hill Community Park, 171 W. Edmundson Ave., at 9 a.m. All levels are welcome. Come by yourself or with your friends. Never played? Contact Morgan Hill CRC to sign up for lessons. Questions? Email [email protected].
• Play at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., games at 6:30 p.m.
• The Morgan Hill Kiwanis Club meets at 7 p.m., at Mama Mia’s Restaurant, 275 E. Dunne Ave. Details: Margaret Graham at [email protected].
Meditation, Yoga Sutra Study
• Join others for a time of meditation and inspiration from a foundational yoga and meditation text, from 1 to 2 p.m., at 8347 Church St. New and experienced students welcome. Required reading: “The Science of Self-Realization. The session is free, though donations are accepted. Details: (408) 842-0208.
First, Third Tuesdays
San Martin Lions Club
• Lions Club meetings are at 7 p.m. virtually and in person at 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: [email protected] or call (669) 437-1767.
• Attend a work2future orientation at 2:30 p.m., at the facility, 379 Tomkins Court. work2future helps Santa Clara County residents get the skills and coaching they need to find a new job, get a promotion, or start a new career. Details: (408) 758-3477 OR work2future.org.
Wind Symphony Meets
• The Morgan Hill Wind Symphony meets from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., at Grace Hill Church, 16970 DeWitt Ave. Bring your instrument. Details: www.mhws.org.
• Discover the benefits of regular meditation from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., at 8347 Church St. Beginning and experienced meditators welcome. Free, donations accepted. Details: (408) 842-0208.
• Join the Rotary Club of Morgan Hill from 12:15 – 1:30 p.m., at the Community & Cultural Center in the Hiram Morgan Hill Room. There is a $15 charge if you wish to purchase lunch but there is no charge to visit. Please check their website to confirm they are meeting on the date you want to visit — occasionally they have meetings at different locations or reschedule a meeting for some holidays. Details: https://portal.clubrunner.ca/6773.
San Martin Lions Club
• Play Bingo and help raise funds for the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Doors open at 4 p.m., early bird games start at 5:45 p.m. and regular bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. They play 15 games and also have flash and Cherrybells available for sale. Buy in is a two pack for $30, extra packs are $5 and early birds are $5.
Flower Lovers Meet
• The Flower Lovers meet from 12:15 to 2 p.m., at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road.
Morgan Hill Photography Club
• Monthly meetings are held at 7 p.m. in the Morgan Hill Community Recreational Center multi-purpose room, 171 W. Edmundson Ave. Meet local photographers, share your photos, and improve your photography skills. Guests are always welcome. For more information, please visit the photo club online at www.morganhillphotographyclub.org.
First, second, fourth Wednesday
Learn About Scouts
• Troop 730 meets at 7:30 p.m., at the Masonic Center on W. Dunne Avenue. Boys and girls interested in learning more about scouting are invited to drop in to meet the troop and see what scouting is all about. Details at www.troopwebhost.org/Troop730MorganHill.
Embroiderers Guild of America
• The Gavilan Hills Chapter is looking for new members. They meet at 10 a.m. at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road. Proof of vaccination required. Masks indoors. The mission of the EGA is to inspire passion for the needle arts through education and the celebration of its heritage.
Grief Support Group
• This monthly Bible-based meeting supports parents who have lost a child. Group meets from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Email [email protected] for details.
Pacheco Pass 4-H Club
• The club meets at 7 p.m., at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. It serves youth 5 to 19. Need adult volunteers. Details: pachecopass[email protected], (408) 472-6952 or www.facebook.com/PachecoPass4H.
• The Morgan Hill Toastmasters Club is a nonprofit club dedicated to helping people develop leadership and public speaking skills that meets from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. via Zoom except for the second Thursday of each month when they meet in person. On the second Thursday of each month they meet at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center in the Mira Monte Room. Details: https://morganhill.toastmastersclubs.org.
Women in Touch ll
• Join the meetings from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. They include lunch and entertainment at the Elks Lodge, 2765 Hecker Pass Highway. Cost is $35 and reservation required. Details: [email protected]. Visit www.womenintouchll.org.
Running Group, Club Run
• The South Valley Running Club hosts a run at 8 a.m. All levels welcome. Membership not required. Details: www.svrchome.org.
Morning Bike Ride
• Weekly co-ed, no-drop ride averaging 25 miles. Meet at Bike Therapy, 17540 Depot St. at 7:30 a.m. in Morgan Hill. Road bike and drop handlebars required.
• The Morgan Hill Certified Farmers’ Market brings together farmers, food producers and consumers from Morgan Hill, Gilroy, and Hollister from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Third and Depot streets. A family-friendly Kids Craft is included with fun educational projects to delight all ages. Parking is available at the Caltrain depot, accessed via Butterfield Boulevard.
Tour Morgan Hill Museum
• The Morgan Hill Museum and Hiram Morgan Hill House are open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., with docents giving tours. Learn about the city’s history and see some new additions to the museum. The Villa Mira Monte grounds are also open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, where visitors can enjoy the Centennial History Trail and the rose garden at leisure.
Historic Downtown Walking Tours
• Free docent-led tours hosted by the Morgan Hill Historical Society from 10 a.m. to noon. Meet in front of Coffee Guys, 50 E. Third St. No reservations required. Donations are welcome. Learn more at www.morganhillhistoricalsociety.com.
Daughters of the Amer. Revolution
• Members from Hollister, Gilroy, San Juan Bautista and Morgan Hill meet at 10 a.m. (through May). It is a nonprofit, nonpolitical women’s volunteer organization dedicated to promoting historic preservation, education and patriotism. Learn if there is a patriot ancestor in your family. Visit www.gilroy.californiadar.
org. Details: [email protected].
Ceramics Sale Fundraiser
• The Gavilan College Student Ceramics Guild will hold their annual Ceramics Sale fundraiser at Gavilan Community College. All profits will go to the Gavilan Student Ceramics Guild and are used to purchase clay and glazes for the students. This one-day sale takes place from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Art Building, room 102 at the college, 5055 Santa Teresa Blvd. The guild will be selling plants (donated from Lowes) in handmade pots, in addition to bowls, vases, cups and other beautiful work created by the students and the ceramic staff.
Free Gardening Class
• Now is the time to plan your wildflower garden. Learn how to identify, plant and manage your wildflower garden from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., at the Gilroy Library, 350 W. Sixth St. Find out how to be successful at scattering seeds to create a beautiful and beneficial habitat. Presented by UCCE Master Gardener Carol Peck.
• Community Christian’s Christmas Boutique will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., at 305 W. Main Ave., Morgan Hill.
Parking & entrance are free.
Canned Food Drive
• It’s the season of helping our fellow humans. Canned food donations to support the Gilroy Compassion Center takes place at 3 p.m. at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, 651 Broadway St. Gilroy. Details: Carl Woodland, Interfaith Council Communications, (408) 710-8673 or at [email protected].
Holiday Lights Parade
• The Morgan Hill Kiwanis club brings in the season of merriment with plenty of pomp and pageantry at the popular parade. Held downtown, the event starts at 5:30 p.m. It ends at the Community Center with a tree lighting ceremony and children visiting Santa Claus on his Magic Ship of Christmas. Organizers expect at least 60 units to entertain the community and open the way to winter cheer. For details, visit www.MorganHillKiwanis.org.
Wreaths Across America
• Sponsor a holiday wreath to be placed on a veteran’s grave Dec. 16 morning at Mt. Hope Cemetery in Morgan Hill and at Gavilan Hills and St. Mary cemeteries in Gilroy. Visit www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/CA0073P.