Published in the August 16 – August 29 2017 issue of Morgan Hill Life
• Join others in evening and Saturday morning walks. Meet at Main and Hale avenues from 6 to 7 p.m. They also take 90-minute walks every Saturday at 9 a.m. These walks are at a moderate pace and include some hills. Details: (408) 779-7592 or e-mail Mariepsych@aol.com.
Line dancing lessons
• Enjoy line dancing lessons from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
Kiwanis meet regularly
• The Morgan Hill Kiwanis Club meets at 7 p.m. at Mama Mia’s, 275 E. Dunne Ave. Details: (408) 659-0350.
• Cecelia’s Closet, a program under the Edward Boss Prado Foundation, will provide free clothing to families in need. No ID required and no questions asked. Supply is subject to availability based on inventory. The Closet is located at 35 Peebles Ave. Details: (408) 670-0266.
Tuesdays, Thursdays and first Saturdays
Free household items, clothes
• The Community Closet gives away free clothes, shoes and household items to those in need in South County. The free giveaways take place from 10 a.m. to noon at The Community Closet, 13570 Depot St., San Martin.
Flower Lovers meet
• The Morgan Hill Flower Lovers Club meets from 12:15 to 2 p.m. in the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center’s El Toro room. No dues are paid but a donation of $1 is requested to defray refreshment costs. Details: contact Suzanne Barrett at svbarrett683 @gmail.com.
SV Woodworkers meet
• If you are a woodworker or enjoy working with wood you might enjoy joining the South Valley Woodworkers, serving South San Jose, Morgan Hill, Gilroy and Hollister. The group meets at 7 p.m. in Morgan Hill. Details: visit www.southvalleywoodworkers.org.
Learn about history
• Meet others at 1 p.m. for a round table history conversation about Morgan Hill and the surrounding areas at Villa Mira Monte, 17860 Monterey Road. Contact Mike at (408) 234-6377 in advance as other events can preempt the conversations.
Free Breastfeeding Support
• Join other new mothers and babies for help and support with breastfeeding from 10:30 a.m. to noon at Casa Natal, 50 W. Main St. Suite C, Morgan Hill.
Horsemen’s Association meets
• The San Martin Horsemen’s Association meets at 7 p.m. at the San Martin Lion’s Club, 12415 Murphy Ave. Details: www.smhorse.org.
Bingo benefits bands
• The Live Oak Emerald Regime holds bingo games at Britton Middle School, 80 W. Central Ave. Saturday, doors open at 4:15 p.m., Sunday, doors open at 11:45 a.m. Details: www.emeraldregime.org/bingo_page.htm.
Aug. 19, 29, 30 & 31
Estate and Medi-Cal seminars
• Join attorney Jim Ward for a free 90-minute educational, seminar, breaking down inheritance tax myths, inaccurate information regarding qualifying for Medi-Cal and the legal steps needed to protect assets with a sound Living Trust. Seminars are from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and again from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Law Offices of James Ward, 7888 Wren Ave., Ste. D-140; 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, San Juan Oaks Golf Club, 3825 Union Road, Hollister; 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Law Offices of James Ward, 7888 Wren Ave., Ste. D-140; 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday, at the Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road, Morgan Hill. Call (408) 847-4800 for reservations.
Fall, winter vegetable garden
• There are many vegetables that can be grown in the fall and winter. Leafy greens, root vegetables and other crops will be covered at this class at 7 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Library, 660 W. Main Ave.
Audition for ‘Madagascar’
• Interested in being a part of musical? If so, audition for the fall production of “Madagascar” a musical adventure, to be performed at the Morgan Hill Playhouse in October. Auditions take place at 11 a.m. for those ages 6 to 11 and 1 p.m. for those 12 to 18, at the Renaissance Center, 70 E. Fourth St. Details: call (408) 839-3696, email email@example.com. Visit www.theaterfun.com.
Whiskers and Wine will benefit Town Cats
• Town Cats is celebrating its 20 year anniversary and the public is invited to Satori Winery from noon to 5 p.m. to celebrate. The Whiskers and Wine event is family-friendly and free. There will be wine tastings by the glass and bottles available, raffle prizes and much more. Proceeds benefit cats and kittens in the care of Town Cats. Details: visit www.towncats.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grand re-opening of West Coast Martial Arts
• The owners of West Coast Martial Arts took ownership in 2014 and are expanding their business into larger location. From noon to 4 p.m. they will host the community for free martial arts classes at 12:30 p.m., a live DJ from 1 to 4 p.m., student and instructor demonstrations at 1 p.m., free hot dogs at 2 p.m. a meet and greet with Ernie Reyes and Master Tony Thompson, and raffle prizes at 3:30 p.m. Their new location is 15650 Vineyard Blvd. Suite H.
Sept. 16 & 17
Citywide garage sale days
• Help promote the idea of reuse, conserve landfill space and avoid wasting valuable resources by having your own garage sale or shop at more than 100 garage sales in Morgan Hill and San Martin. Visit www.secondchanceweek.com for a list of participating addresses or call (408) 310-4169 for more information. Deadline to apply for a garage sale is Friday, Sept. 8 and online applications can be found on the above website.
The Garage Sales “bookend” a full week of events known as “Second Chance Week.” Each day of the week is dedicated to making the public aware of all the different ways to reduce, reuse and recycle:
Sept. 11 – “Universal Waste Awareness Day” – Properly dispose of consumer electronics, batteries, fluorescent lighting and other mercury containing devices.
Sept. 12 – “Freecycle Day” – Keep your unwanted goods out of the landfill by giving them to those who may need them.
Sept. 13 – “Donate Coats for Kids & Adults Too Day” – Share your unwanted coats with underprivileged children and their parents.
Sept. 14 – “Second Sight Day” – Give your old eyeglasses a second chance to serve someone less fortunate.
Sept. 15 – “Recycle Your Cycle Day” – Donate your “gently used” bicycles and we’ll distribute them to local charities.
Send items to email@example.com.
Latest posts by Robert Airoldi (see all)
- Intero — January 3, 2017 Listings - January 17, 2018
- Archive: Published in the January 17 – 30, 2018 issue of Morgan Hill Life - January 15, 2018
- Morgan Hill city councilmember to be arraigned on domestic battery charges - January 15, 2018