Published in the March 14 – 27, 2018 issue of Morgan Hill Life
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A refresher course for motorists 50 and older is taking place. Must call and register to get date and location. Participants will familiarize themselves with driver safety and new laws. No tests. Course, class materials and instructor provided by AARP. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. A discount on auto insurance is available upon completion of this one-day class. Details and to register, call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m. only.
Free Guitar Lessons
- Gorden Gibson teaches free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave.
- Group meets at 6:30 p.m. at South Valley Community Church, 8095 Kelton Dr., Gilroy. Details: (408) 848-2363.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous is for anyone suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating or bulimia. Meetings at 7 p.m., Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Parenting Support Group
- Starting at 10 a.m. at Informed Choices. Join with other moms to learn, share and journey through parenting. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Mondays & Thursdays
- Games at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
- Each class consists of a short introduction of the session, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief interactive discussion. It takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. E-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or drop by 16165 Monterey Road, Suite 200. Suggested donation $5. No one turned away.
Tuesdays & Thursdays
- The St. Catherin Community Closet is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon. Get gently used clothing and household items, at no charge. Visit 13570 Depot St., San Martin. Details: (408) 857-4516.
Second & Fourth Wednesday
Indivisible South Valley
- Indivisible South Valley is a grassroots effort, aligned with the national Indivisible Movement, working to protect democracy and core values, with a focus on local communities. Meetings are from 7 to 8:30 p.m., at the Centennial Recreation Center, 171 W Edmundson Ave.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (408) 824-8201.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space to play games and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Food is served. This program is for ages 13 to 19 though younger children are allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. Permission slip needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460 or (408) 846-0313.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early bird games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
- Group meets at 6 p.m. for food, 7 p.m. for large groups and 8 p.m. for small groups, at New Hope Community Church, 8886 Muraoka St. Details: (408) 398-5107.
Learn About MH’s History
- Experience the history of the buildings in downtown from 10 a.m. to noon. Walk into the past and learn about the buildings and the characters who built, owned and operated them through the years. Tours are free, donations welcome. Meet at the 3rd Street Plaza outside Coffee Guys.
San Martin: Trash Bash Litter Pick Up
- Volunteer to help clean up dumped trash and litter along public roadways and waterways in San Martin from 8:30 a.m. to noon, with a free lunch served. Registration will be open to anyone 16 or older. Liability waivers must be signed by all volunteers or legal guardians.
- Community service hours available for students.
- Clean up supplies and safety gear will be provided.
- Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
- RSVP required for headcount.
Meet at the Sig Sanchez Government Center, 80 Highland Ave. Details: www.facebook.com/events/1414985525278995/
Graywater Laundry to Landscape Workshop
- Learn how to safely reuse water from washing machines to irrigate your landscape from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Council Chambers, 17555 Peak Ave. Residential graywater reuse, common types of graywater systems, garden-friendly soaps and detergents, and how to construct a laundry to landscape graywater system will be discussed. Attending the workshop will help participants qualify for the SCVWD’s graywater rebate of $200 (up to $400 in some areas). To get specific assistance during the workshop, bring a few photos of your laundry area and landscape to be irrigated with graywater.
- Join others for a historical discussion on the story of The Flying Lady Restaurant, from 10 to 11:30 a.m. at the Hiram Morgan Hill House at Villa Mira Monte.
April 7 & 8
- Taste wine from Mann Cellars and Paradise Valley Vineyards from noon to 5 p.m. at the Hiram Morgan Hill House at Villa Mira Monte. Bring a picnic snack and buy a bottle and enjoy the ambiance. This is a great starting point for exploring history, regional wineries as well as shopping and dining in our quaint and charming downtown. There is a $5 tasting fee at each winery, applies to bottle purchase.
Send calendar items to email@example.com.