Published in the August 15 – 28, 2018 issue of Morgan Hill Life
AARP Safe Driving Course
- A one-day course for 50 and older takes place periodically. Must call and register to get current date and location. No tests. There is a minimal DMV certificate fee. A discount on auto insurance available upon completion. Details and to register, call (408) 779-7117 between 1 and 7 p.m. only.
Women’s Support Group
- An eight-week personal study with other caring women healing from post-abortion. These are individual or group sessions. Details: (408) 847-8880.
Line Dancing Lessons
- Line dancing lessons take place from 7 to 9 p.m. at the San Martin Lions Club, 12415 Murphy Ave., San Martin.
Food Addict Meetings
- Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous is for anyone suffering from food obsession, overeating, under-eating or bulimia. They meet at 7 p.m. at Advent Lutheran Church, 16870 Murphy Ave., Morgan Hill. Details: 800-600-6028 or www.foodaddicts.org.
Free Guitar Lessons
- Gorden Gibson teaches free guitar lessons at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St., from noon to 1 p.m. Details: (408) 846-0414.
Mondays & Thursdays
- Bridge games are held at 1:20 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays at the Gilroy Senior Center, 7371 Hanna St. Details: (408) 921-8512 or email email@example.com.
Ladies Golf Club
- The Gilroy Ladies Golf Club is looking for new members. Details: (408) 779-0886 or (408) 776-7509.
- Each meditation class consists of a short introduction of the upcoming session, a 20-minute meditation, and a brief interactive discussion. The class takes place from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. Please e-mail artofyogamorganhill.com, or drop by 16165 Monterey Road, Suite 200. There is a suggested donation of $5, but no one will be turned away.
Bingo at the CCC
- Doors open at 4:15 p.m., early bird games start 5:45, regular games at 6:30 in the Hiram Morgan Hill room, at Community and Cultural Center. Must be 18 to play.
Ukulele Fans Meet
- The Ukulele Society meets from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Library, 660 W. Main Ave. All levels welcome. Details: Karen MacDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recovering From Addiction
- Thrive! provides support, information and education for family recovery. They meet from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Morgan Hill Presbyterian Church, 16970 Dewitt Ave. Details: Karen at (408) 666-5533.
- Learn leadership and life skills at the Pacheco Pass 4-H meetings from 7 to 8 p.m. Details: email email@example.com or call (408) 824-8201.
- These meetings are for family and friends affected by a loved one’s drug abuse. They meet from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Gilroy First Baptist Church, 8455 Wren Ave.
Late Evening Gym
- Come to a safe space to play games and have fun from 6 to 9 p.m. at the El Portal gym, 222 I.O.O.F. Ave. Food is served. This program is for ages 13 to 19 though younger children are allowed if accompanied by a parent or sibling older than 18. Permission slip needed if attending for the first time. Details: (408) 846-0460 or (408) 846-0313.
Friday Night Bingo
- Doors open at 4 p.m. with early bird games starting at 6 p.m. at the VFW, 74 W. Sixth St.
First, third Sundays
Grief Support Group
- This group provides a safe and respectful place to share grief. It meets at 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, 17175 Monterey St. Details: (408) 607-5779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planting Fall and Winter Vegetable Gardens
- There are many types of vegetables you can grow in fall and winter. Leafy greens, root vegetables, broccoli and other cool-season crops will be covered at this class from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Library, 660 W. Main Ave. Learn how to grow them successfully and enjoy fresh salads all year.
Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Join Jennifer Ponce, office of emergency services coordinator, as she gives us a free update on the city of Morgan Hill’s emergency plan and preparedness from 10 a.m. to noon at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center, 17000 Monterey Road.
Help Support Vocational Training
- Join fellow Morgan Hill Rotarians for a dinner and benefit auction that will enable the club’s vocational committee to equip the new Rotary Welding Room at Sobrato High School. Bring a bottle of wine to share or try one of Ken Murray’s homemade margaritas. Guests of Rotarians welcome for $20. Regular lunch fee applies to members. The event takes place from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Community and Cultural Center.
Be a Volunteer
- Want to be a community volunteer, reading one-on-one with a child at Morgan Hill’s Boys and Girls Club? Readings take place Tuesdays in September from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. A required orientation will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m., at the new clubhouse location, 17666 Crest Ave. RSVP or details: email@example.com.
State of the Schools
- Morgan Hill Unified School District is teaming with the Morgan Hill Chamber of Commerce and Morgan Hill Life newspaper to engage the community with the 3rd Annual State of the Schools Address. Everyone is invited to this talk given by Superintendent Steve Betando. It will be held 6 p.m. at the Morgan Hill Community Center, 17000 Monterey Road. Details: (408) 779-9444.
Send calendar items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Calendar Editor (see all)
- Calendar of Events: Published in the December 19, 2018 – January 1, 2019 - December 14, 2018
- Martin Murphy Middle School Presents “Snoopy” - December 7, 2018
- COMMUNITY CALENDAR: Published in the December 5 – 18, 2018 issue of Morgan Hill Life - December 1, 2018